Glassyboop - Betty and Jamie

Glassyboop is a mother (Betty) and daughter (Jamie) venture.

Betty: I have always loved art glass and began working with glass art over 40 years ago, when (husband) Bill noticed my interest and gave me stained glass lessons for our first Christmas. Little did he know it would entail building 5 workshops and many “honey-do” projects. I enjoy the flexibility in design glass allows. My style ranges from functional to fine art landscapes and from jewelry to funky designs as I interpret the world around me in glass.

Jamie: At 8 I was allowed in the glass shop and my mom immediately recognized my artistic abilities. I primarily create dichroic jewelry and large dichroic landscapes. I created the butterfly wing pendant Betty is wearing in the photo above and it is one of my trademark creations.

We work with fused, dichroic and stained glass. Our fused glass works are created by cutting individual pieces of glass, placing them together in a pattern or layers, and firing in a digital glass kiln with temperatures from 1200–1700 degrees. Individual pieces may be fired numerous times to achieve the final art form. We have worked over the years to develop kiln-firing schedules that create the look we want while annealing the glass for strength and longevity. Dichroic glass is created during glass manufacturing when metals and minerals are vaporized and combined with glass to create a permanent, extremely hard glass surface. It is unique in its brilliance and how it changes colors as light strikes from different angles.

For more examples of our work and where you can purchase it, please visit our artisan space.