Jumping Roses - Sharon Chenausky

IKIGAI - A passion that gives value and joy to life. My journey began with turning thrifted sweaters into Christmas stockings and I have been transforming textiles ever since. Utilizing thrifted textiles is challenging because the existing seems, hems and pockets are the characteristics which provide both the most opportunities as well as the biggest obstacles. Careful planning, deconstructing and a few happy surprises allow me the joy of creating new things.

With each project, I push myself to try new things and learn new skills. Recently I have added the practice Sashiko embroidery and Boro mending to my work. These ancient Japanese slow and deliberate fabric transformations are taking my repurposing projects to a whole new level. My current projects utilize denim and consist of Komebukuro rice bags (Drawstring bags), origami bags, tote bags, covered journals and some Boro inspired denim patches.

This journey of preserving tradition while honoring innovation is allowing me to express myself and my love of textiles in new ways. Redeeming things that have been tossed aside offering a clever upcycle is what I enjoy. It’s my IKIGAI.

For more examples of my work and where you can purchase it, please visit my artisan space.