Tulip Tree Designs - Barbara

I have always been the sort of person who enjoys making things with her hands. I started sewing at a very young age. My Grandmother was an excellent seamstress and made clothes for my Mom and all her granddaughters. When I started sewing on my own, I naturally focused on making my own clothes. Eventually I moved to pillows, curtains and small wall hangings. I focus now on sewing purses and totes because I love being able to mix different fabric color palettes with various designs.

I started crafting jewelry much later in life. Initially, I worked with simple stringing and loved discovering the wide variety of gemstones and beads available. I then began to work in Precious Metal Clay (PMC), and finally in traditional metalsmithing. PMC is a relatively new material made from recycled silver which can be molded and shaped in many ways. Once it is kiln-fired at a very high temperature, the binder burns off and what remains is sterling silver. Much of my work combines traditional metalsmithing with original pieces crafted from PMC. All are sterling silver or higher.

My formal training in jewelry making is comprised of individual classes with experienced makers and a couple of college-level metalsmithing classes. These days, I look to my fellow artisans for inspiration and guidance, and continue to seek out individual teachers with knowledge to share.

Throughout my life, the arts have sustained me. I studied voice and have sung in numerous choruses and choirs, and have extensive on-stage experience in live theatre. I am also a proud member of SAG/AFTRA, the union that covers screen and television actors.

For more examples of my work and where you can purchase it, please visit my artisan space.