VanArtLife - Van

My name is Van Hutchinson and I am an award-winning acrylic artist who believes everyone’s life can be enhanced with art!

As both my parents had artistic hobbies, it was no surprise to anyone when I started showing signs of creativity. When I was a child, my drawing of a vase of flowers was featured in a Dallas art competition and I was constantly writing bad poetry. In spite of the failure of my poems, I went on to professionally write t.v. commercials, some of which won local and national awards. After burning out on that career, I moved to Japan to teach English for 10 years. There a passion for photography popped up resulting in a dozen photos appearing in the national English newspaper, The Japan Times. Upon my return to Texas I initially lived with my artist mother who gave me a set of acrylic paints for Christmas and that’s when it all began. I painted, and painted, and painted some more. I couldn’t stop.

That was back in 2011. Now on my own in a studio apartment I continue to paint and take photos in an attempt to capture the beauty of light as it creates shadows, bounces off water, highlights mist and makes skin and flowers glow. My fascination with the sky in both color and black & white continues and, for an additional challenge, I’ve started adding my personal twist to jewelry and ceramics.

I am active in the local artist community. I've won awards in juried art shows, had a one-woman show, exhibited in several group shows and participated in pop-up markets put on by 817ArtsAlliance. I’ve also sold my work at Spring and Fall Gallery Night in Ft. Worth.

For more examples of my work and where you can purchase it, please visit my artisan space.